ProctorU: Information for Students
What is ProctorU?
ProctorU is an online proctoring service for online exams available through Blackboard. This is a convenient option for students who used to travel to their site to take a proctored exam. You will be able to take your exam from anywhere you have a computer with a webcam and high speed internet service. Currently, the cost of the proctoring sessions is paid by ODU (excluding any late fees you may incur).
What if I can't connect to ProctorU or don't want to use this service?
Your exams will still be administered through Blackboard and need to be proctored, either at an ODU site or with a proctor you identify.
How does ProctorU work?
- Make an appointment on the ProctorU web site to take your exam at least 72 hours in advance.
- At the time of your appointment, you'll connect by video chat with a live proctor from ProctorU. This proctor will help you through the exam process and is available during the exam if any technical difficulties arise.
- Next, you connect the proctor to your screen so they can view your screen during the exam.
- The proctor will ask to see your photo ID and ask some questions to make sure the right student is taking the exam.
- Then, you take the exam online!
Getting ready for an exam
- If this is your first time using ProctorU, create an account.
- Schedule your exam at least 72 hours in advance. Be sure to provide a valid email address and a phone number where you can be reached when you are taking the exam. (If an exam is scheduled late, a $5 late fee is assessed by ProctorU and is paid by the student.)
- At the time of your exam, please return to http://go.proctoru.com and click on the blinking button, asking you to “click here to start."
- PC Users: A well-working computer running Windows XP or higher with 1024 MB of RAM or higher
- Mac Users: A well-working computer running Mac OS X or higher
- A web cam with 640x480 video pixel resolution (web cams built into laptops or monitors are acceptable)
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer
- A microphone connected to the computer (your web cam or laptop may already have one built into it.)
- A reliable high speed internet connection (minimum 768 Kbps/384 Kbps Download/Upload)
- A web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed
- Authority to allow remote access to your computer and screen by one of ProctorU's proctors
Questions or concerns?
We have two documents that help to answer any questions you may have:
You may also contact Susan Kenter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-683-6426.