Aerospace Engineering (MS/ME)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Master of Science/Engineering|
|Frank Batten College of Engineering & Technology: Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|Cost: $437-456 per credit hour *|
|Required: 30 credit hours|
|Learning Environment: Online synchronousAccess course material online from any location and participate in regularly scheduled online class meetings.|
Aerospace engineering involves the analysis and design of complex multidisciplinary systems associated with aircraft, spacecraft, rockets, unpiloted aerial and space robotic platforms, and many other emerging areas within aeronautics and astronautics.
In this program, our faculty strive to provide students with:
- an environment of scientific inquiry and intellectual stimulation;
- opportunities for advanced education and creative research (essential for careers in teaching, research, or design); and
- pathways to contribute to the body of knowledge in aerospace engineering.
Why ODU for Aerospace Engineering?
ODU's Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering has close ties with NASA Langley Research Center, Air Force Research Laboratory, Naval Research Laboratory, and other government agencies and local industry.
Our faculty are engaged in teaching and researching a wide variety of areas, including:
- low and high speed aerodynamics
- turbulence modeling, flow stability and control
- flight dynamics, guidance, navigation, and control
- unmanned aerial vehicles, unmanned water vehicles
- experimental and computational aerodynamics
- experimental and computational structural mechanics
- nonlinear vibration, active vibration control
- smart materials and composite structures
- space systems, small satellite development, and orbital mechanics
- magnetic suspension and control
- autonomous robotic systems
- aerodynamic design optimization, fluid-structure interaction
- flight propulsion and energy systems
- combustion and flame dynamics
Core (choose four):
- MAE 601 (Required) Engineering Mathematics
- MAE 602 Fluid Dynamics and Aerodynamics
- MAE 603 Mechanics of Solids
- MAE 604 Analytical Dynamics
- MAE 605 Advanced Thermodynamics
- MAE 607 Continuum Mechanics
- MAE 620 Heat Transfer
- MAE 672 Design of Experiments
Elective (choose four to six, depending on type of degree):
- MAE 506 Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics
- MAE 507 Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics
- MAE 514 Introduction to gas dynamics
- MAE 560 Intro to Space Systems Engineering
- MAE 713 Turbulent flow
- MAE 715 Boundary Layer Theory
Courses in this program are offered in this technology:
Online synchronous: Access course material online from any location and participate in live, regularly scheduled online class meetings.
Aerospace Engineering Careers
A wide variety of jobs are available in aerospace engineering, from research to development and testing.
As a graduate of ODU's online aerospace engineering program, you will be prepared for challenging and rewarding employment in high-technology industries, research organizations, consulting firms, and government agencies.
Master of Engineering vs. Master of Science
To earn a Master of Science (MS) degree in aerospace engineering, you must complete four elective courses and a 6-credit hour thesis.
To earn a Master of Engineering (ME) degree in aerospace engineering, you must complete six elective courses and a comprehensive exam based on your course work.
For admission as a regular graduate student, you must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university in aerospace engineering, engineering mechanics, mechanical engineering, or a related field, such as civil structural engineering, physics or mathematics.
If you have a non-engineering degree, or an engineering degree other than aerospace, mechanical or engineering mechanics, your degree must have included the subject matter prerequisite for graduate study in aerospace engineering or engineering mechanics.
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$437|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$456|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1089|
Rates are effective Fall 2014 and subject to change. Please visit ODU's main Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details, including fees and deadlines.
For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please click here.