Autism Spectrum Disorders (Cert)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Graduate Certificate|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Communication Disorders and Special Education|
|Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Required: 12 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived., SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.|
Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition that affects 1 out of 88 children.
This certificate program is designed to prepare teachers and related service providers to effectively work with and provide support for students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
This coursework can be completed separately from, or integrated into, the Master’s Degree in Special Education.
To take courses for this certificate, you will need:
- Admittance to ODU as a non-degree or degree seeking graduate student.
- A separate application to the Darden College of Education for the certificate program.
For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Teacher Education Services and Advising at 757-683-6448 or http://education.odu.edu/tes/.
The courses required for this certificate are SPED 625, 627, 569, and 621. You will be required to purchase a membership to LiveText, a web-based portfolio assessment system, to complete the coursework in this certificate.
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
A certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders can benefit your educational or treatment career in positions such as:
- Special Education Teacher
- Educational therapist
- Psycho-educational diagnostician
- Child Advocate
- Child Study Team Member
- Curriculum Supervisor
- Subject Area Supervisor
- Occupational and Physical Therapist
- Audiology and Speech Pathologist
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College