Civil Engineering Technology (BSET)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology|
|Frank Batten College of Engineering & Technology: Department of Engineering Technology|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 64 credit hours from ODU (at least 127 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.|
By completing this program, you will be prepared for employment in a wide range of professional and technical positions with the construction, consulting engineering, surveying and development industries. Graduates of this program are eligible to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, the first step to licensure as a professional engineer, in Virginia and many other states.
Effective written, oral and graphic communications are practiced throughout the curriculum along with computer literacy. The program culminates in a senior project that integrates course work with a practical project assignment in your area of interest.
ODU's Civil Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ETAC of ABET).
In addition to the core CET course work, you will choose an emphasis area in construction management, structural design or site development. Each emphasis requires at least five courses.
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Explore Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student and credit for ENGL 100C.
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.
Civil Engineering Technology Careers
- Construction: project engineer, field engineer, assistant superintendent, estimator, scheduler, designer, engineer, planner, computer- aided design analyst.
- Public Utilities
- Architectural and Structural Engineering Firms
- Design-Build Contractors
- Urban and Community Planning
- Environmental concerns
- Water Resources
- Geotechnical areas
- Surveying and Mapping
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College