Criminal Justice (BS/BA)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts|
|College of Arts & Letters: Department of Sociology & Criminal Justice|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 39 credit hours from ODU (120 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Online asynchronousAccess course material online from any location and complete coursework following a defined course schedule.|
Secure a career in public service with a degree in Criminal Justice.
The Criminal Justice degree program facilitates an appreciation of the complexity of criminal justice and allows students to understand the social, legal, and technological aspects of criminal justice agencies.
Students learn from a diverse group of faculty members specializing in criminology and criminal justice who write and lecture on a multitude of exciting topics. The Criminal Justice degree program includes a variety of courses pertaining to the administration of criminal justice as well as courses on the social and psychological causes of criminal behavior.
Watch: Criminal Justice Major at ODU
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Explore Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student.
Courses in this program are offered in this technology:
Online Asynchronous: Access course materials online from any location. These courses require little to no synchronous (same-time) scheduled class meetings, but assignments and exams are scheduled by the instructor. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
ODU has partnered with Northern Virginia Community College’s Extended Learning Institute (ELI) so you can get your associate’s degree online from ELI, then transfer into this ODU Distance Learning program. Click to learn more.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
Criminal Justice Careers
If you are interested in helping victims or offenders, our online Criminal Justice degree can lead you to a career involving:
- Casework and Counseling
- Juvenile Justice
- Probations and Parole
- Victim Advocacy
- Court Reporting
- Legal Assistance and Research
- Private Security and Consulting
- Internet and Global Security
- Loss and Prevention
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College