Elementary Teacher PreK-6: 5th year with initial VA licensure (MSEd)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Master of Science in Education|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Teaching and Learning|
|Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Required: 41 graduate-level credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program.|
If you have completed a non-teaching Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to qualify for a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in PreK‐6, this Master's program is for you!
This approved teacher education master’s program must be completed entirely to be recommended by Old Dominion University on the College Verification form for the Virginia teaching license.
As part of the course work in this Master of Science in Education degree program, you must complete Advance Classroom Management and Practicum, and the Teacher Candidate Internship.
Additional required course details are on the program's web page.
- A non-teaching Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Passing scores (as established by the Commonwealth of Virginia) on the Praxis I Academic Skills Assessment or the SAT/ACT
- A general undergraduate grade point average of 2.80 or better
- Satisfactory scores on either the Graduate Record Examination or Miller Analogies Test
- An interview with the graduate program director or his/her designee
Additional admission details are in the program sheet found on the department's web site.
For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Teacher Education Services and Advising at 757-683-6448 or http://education.odu.edu/tes/.
Courses in this program may be offered in these formats:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
Elementary School Teaching Careers
- Teaching: Pre-school, Primary, Elementary
- Administration: Principalship, Superintendency
Note for students in Washington State from the SAC:
"Eligibility for initial education certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Virginia and is authorized for field placements in Washington by the Professional Educators Standards Board. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement."
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College