Elementary Teacher PreK-6: 5 yr prg with VA licensure (MSEd)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Master of Science in Education|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Teaching and Learning|
|Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Required: 31 graduate-level credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program.|
Do you want to teach in elementary schools?
In this program, you will pursue an undergraduate major in Interdisciplinary Studies (PreK-6 teacher education track) and complete a Bachelor of Science degree through the College of Arts and Letters, and then take a fifth year graduate program leading to a Master of Science in Education degree with a major in elementary education through the Darden College of Education.
This program meets the requirements for licensure in Virginia.
As part of the course work in this Master of Science in Education degree program, you must complete Advance Classroom Management and Practicum, and the Teacher Candidate Internship.
A PDF file of required courses is available on the department's web site.
To complete this Master of Science in Education degree program, you must pursue a Bachelor of Science from ODU's College of Arts & Letters in Interdisciplinary Studies (PreK-6 teacher education track).
Additional requirements, including requirements for Fast Track Graduate Admission, are listed on the department's web site.
For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Teacher Education Services and Advising at 757-683-6448 or http://education.odu.edu/tes/.
Courses in this program may be offered in these formats:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
Elementary School Teaching Careers
- Teaching: Pre-school, Primary, Elementary
- Administration: Principalship, Superintendency
Note for students in Washington State from the SAC:
"Eligibility for initial education certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Virginia and is authorized for field placements in Washington by the Professional Educators Standards Board. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement."
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College