Health Sciences - Human Services minor (BSHS)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences|
|College of Health Sciences: School of Community and Environmental Health|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 30 credit hours from ODU (120 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program., Online asynchronousAccess course material online from any location and complete coursework following a defined course schedule.|
Expand your career as a health professional with a Health Sciences degree.
For current health professionals, this program offers an advanced educational experience that builds on your expertise. The the minor in human services will expand your capabilities to work with individuals and client groups in health care settings and the community.
If you are entering the health sciences field, you will gain important knowledge as well as abilities to work with client groups in health care settings and the community.
Why ODU for Health Sciences?
This program is fully certified by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). Fewer than 50 undergraduate programs in the U.S. and Canada carry this certification. AUPHA is a global network of colleges, universities, faculty, individuals and organizations dedicated to the improvement of healthcare delivery through excellence in healthcare management and policy education.
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
- 2013-2014 Curriculum Sheet for current health sciences professionals (PDF)
2013-2014 Curriculum Sheet for students entering health sciences (PDF)
If you are seeking entry to the health sciences field, you are required to complete 12 credit hours of prerequisites before applying for admission to the BSHS program. See the curriculum sheet for additional details.
All students are required to complete an internship and an electronic portfolio.
Courses in this program are offered in these technologies:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
Online Asynchronous: Access course materials online from any location. These courses require little to no synchronous (same-time) scheduled class meetings, but assignments and exams are scheduled by the instructor. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
Possible careers paths include:
- Case Management
- Mental Health Services
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Explore Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student. There is also a separate application to the College of Health Sciences. Please read the second page of the curriculum sheet and speak with an advisor for details.
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College