Instructional Design & Technology (PhD)
|Degree: Doctor of Philosophy in Education||Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Darden College of Education: Instructional Design and Technology Program||Required: 60 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: Online synchronousAccess class online during the live broadcast, sometimes using Adobe Connect., 2-way extended campusAttend class at a site for a live, broadcast course. Instructor & students can all see and talk to each other.||Locations: 9|
The ID&T program at the Darden College of Education provides students with a solid grounding in instructional design, cognitive theory and research to meet current challenges. Our wide variety of course offerings is designed to give the graduate a strong background in both the theory and practice of the field. All students will study the following:
- Instructional Design
- Instructional Message Design
- Distance Education
- Evaluation & Assessment
- Design of Technology-Mediated Instruction
- Human Performance Technology
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research
- Modeling and Simulation (Certificate)
The program provides the flexibility to pursue individual interests. The rigorous ID&T course of study prepares graduates for a future in instructional technology in a variety of venues.
Admission decisions are based on several criteria including GPA (graduate and undergraduate), a writing sample, GRE scores (analytical writing, verbal, and quantitative), letters of recommendation, and an individual interview with program faculty.
Details can be found in the ID&T Appendix at the program's web site.
Careers In This Field
- Instructional Designer
- Instructional Technologist
- Human Performance Technologist
- Distance Education specialist
- Manager of Instructional Design Services
Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Rates
|Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Effective Summer 2013. Rates are subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Prerequisites are FOUN 722 and IDT 617 or equivalent.
Structure of the PhD Program
- ID&T Core Courses - 21 hours
- Research Core - 15 hours
- Instructional Design concentration - 9 hours
- Capstone Course and Dissertation - 15 hours
Further details can be found in the PhD Handbook and Doctoral Plan of Work on the program's web site.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Roanoke Higher Education Center
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center