Professional Writing (Interdisciplinary Studies) (BS)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science|
|College of Arts & Letters: Department of Interdisciplinary Studies|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 45 credit hours from ODU (120 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.|
Gain formal preparation to apply professional and technical writing to your career.
In this program, you will complete a core of courses in technical writing as well as in business, communication, and human resources. You will gain a foundation that includes interpersonal and organizational communication skills, promotes compositional skills, and provides a basic understanding and skill level in management, marketing and public relations.
This Interdisciplinary Studies program is ideal for returning students who are already working and want to expand their management skills and/or increase their eligibility for promotion.
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
Map out your education with this program's Long Range Schedule (PDF).
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Explore Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student.
Courses in this program are offered in this technology:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
Professional Writing Careers
- Public Relations
- Corporate Public Affairs
- Media Analysis/Planning
- Grant Writing
- Technical Writing
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College