Counseling - Mental Health Counseling (MSEd)
|Degree: Master of Science in Education||Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Counseling and Human Services||Required: 60 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: 2-way extended campusAttend class at a site for a live, broadcast course. Instructor & students can all see and talk to each other., 2-way onlineAttend a live course using 2-way software on a computer or mobile device. Instructor & students can see and talk to each other.||Locations: 9|
Graduates of the clinical mental health counseling specialization will have completed all coursework required to become a licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and can begin their two years of supervised experience required to become an LPC upon graduation from the program. They also will have the necessary courses and field experiences to apply to become National Certified Counselors (NCC). Requirements for licensure vary by state; please check with state agencies for details.
Requires a 100-hour practicum in an approved mental health agency setting and a 600-hour internship in mental health counseling agencies.
This specialization has been designed to meet the standards of the Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
A variety of factors in addition to the standard application materials are considered when reviewing applicants. Details are listed at the program's web site.
Careers In This Field
- Professional Counselor (LPC)
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Private Practice
- Rehabilitation Agencies
- Mental Health Programs
- Law Enforcement/ Corrections
- Case Management
- Substance Abuse Recovery
- Adoption/Childcare Agencies
- Nursing Home/Retirement Communities
- Residential Treatment Programs
- University Mental Health Services
Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Rates
|Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Effective Summer 2013. Rates are subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
A list of required courses is on the program's web page.
Although most of the classes are available in a 2-way format, students are required to take three classes (nine credit hours) in residence at the New College Institute in Martinsville, Virginia. They are COUN 633, 634, and 644.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Fort Belvoir
- Fort Myer
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Roanoke Higher Education Center
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center