MET - Nuclear Systems option (BSET)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology|
|Frank Batten College of Engineering & Technology: Department of Engineering Technology|
|Cost: $273-285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 61 credit hours from ODU (at least 128 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived., SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.|
This program is available only to graduates of the U. S. Navy Nuclear Power School or Nuclear Reactor Operator training at Dominion Energy. Eligible Navy ratings are EM (NUC), ET (NUC), and MM (NUC).
Your courses in this program are in areas such as computer-aided drafting, statics, strength of materials, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, automation and controls, and computer solid modeling. Your culimating experience is a senior project that integrates course work with a practical project assignment in your area of interest.
You must select a minor from the College of Engineering & Technology or the College of Sciences. To satisfy the upper-division general education requirements, we recommend a minor in Engineering Management.
Why ODU for MET Nuclear Systems?
ODU's Mechanical Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ETAC of ABET).
Based on your professional education in nuclear power, you may receive advanced standing credits that apply to the MET degree from ODU. Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
Map out your education with this program's Long Range Schedule (PDF).
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs. For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student with ENGL 100C credit. You must also have completing U.S. Navy Nuclear Power School or Nuclear Reactor Operator training at Dominion Energy.
Navy Personnel: Check Ratings & Roadmaps. Find out what degree you are eligible for based on your rating. Check the Curriculum for what courses are required, and contact us to see what credits you may have already earned from military training.
Please contact ODU with any questions about admissions or eligibility. You can call or email contact ODU personnel at your nearest Field Office location, or contact Dr. Rob Curry, Director of Advising for Military Students, at email@example.com or 1.800.968.2638.
MET Nuclear Systems Careers
- Maintenance management
- Facilities operation
- Quality control
- System design
- HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning)
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
|Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership students**||$273|
** Note: Beginning Summer 2013, tuition for some courses in NCPDLP programs will be changing. Click here to read more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this rate.
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College