Nursing - Nurse Midwifery (MSN)
|Degree: Master of Science in Nursing||Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|College of Health Sciences: School of Nursing||Required: 47 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: Online asynchronousAccess course material online from any location and complete coursework at your own pace., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship that requires your physical presence is a required part of this program.||Locations: 1|
This two-year program begins with the first year of advanced practice nursing content offered by Old Dominion in the Tidewater region and at distance sites. The second year will be offered by the Nurse-Midwifery program at Shenandoah University. The Master of Science in Nursing will be awarded by Old Dominion University and a Certificate of Endorsement in Nurse-Midwifery will be awarded by Shenandoah University.
Graduates will be eligible to take the national nurse-midwifery certification examination offered by the American Midwifery Certification Examination to become a Certified Nurse-Midwife.
In addition to meeting University requirements, applicants for the MSN program must meet the following criteria:
- a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a NLNAC OR CCNE accredited program is preferred, however, applicants with a bachelor's degree in a related field will be considered on an individual basis. Degrees earned from nationally accredited institutions do not meet admission requirements for graduate study at ODU.
an undergraduate degree with quality point average of 3.0 overall and
- 3.0 in the major
- completed undergraduate courses in statistics and health assessment
- one year of recent clinical nursing experience, preferably post-baccalaureate experience
- currently licensed as a registered nurse
A separate application to the School of Nursing is required.
Careers In This Field
- Family Practice/Primary Care clinic
- Certified Nurse-Midwife
- Internal Medicine
- Women’s Health
- Neonatal Nursing
- Emergency Services
- Public Health
Community Health Clinic
Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Rates
|Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Effective Summer 2013. Rates are subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Please visit the School of Nursing web site for course details.