Nursing - Nurse Midwifery (MSN)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Master of Science in Nursing|
|College of Health Sciences: School of Nursing|
|Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Required: 47 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: Online asynchronousAccess course material online from any location and complete coursework following a defined course schedule., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program.|
This two-year program begins with the first year of advanced practice nursing content offered by Old Dominion in the Tidewater region and at distance sites. The second year will be offered by the Nurse-Midwifery program at Shenandoah University. The Master of Science in Nursing will be awarded by Old Dominion University and a Certificate of Endorsement in Nurse-Midwifery will be awarded by Shenandoah University.
Graduates will be eligible to take the national nurse-midwifery certification examination offered by the American Midwifery Certification Examination to become a Certified Nurse-Midwife.
Please visit the School of Nursing web site for course details.
In addition to meeting University requirements for graduate admission, a separate application to the School of Nursing is required. To be considered for this MSN program, you must have:
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from a NLNAC OR CCNE accredited program (preferred) or a bachelor's degree in a related field. Degrees earned from nationally accredited institutions do not meet admission requirements for graduate study at ODU.
An undergraduate degree with quality grade point average of 3.0 overall and
- 3.0 in the major
- undergraduate courses in statistics and health assessment
- One year of recent clinical nursing experience, preferably post-baccalaureate experience.
- A current license as a registered nurse.
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
Online Asynchronous: Access course materials online from any location. These courses require little to no synchronous (same-time) scheduled class meetings, but assignments and exams are scheduled by the instructor. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
Nurse Midwifery Careers
- Family Practice/Primary Care clinic
- Certified Nurse-Midwife
- Internal Medicine
- Women’s Health
- Neonatal Nursing
- Emergency Services
- Public Health
- Community Health Clinic
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.