Counseling - School Counseling (MSEd)
|Degree: Master of Science in Education||Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Counseling and Human Services||Required: 60 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: 2-way extended campusAttend class at a site for a live, broadcast course. Instructor & students can all see and talk to each other., 2-way onlineAttend a live course using 2-way software on a computer or mobile device. Instructor & students can see and talk to each other.||Locations: 12|
Graduates of the school counseling specialization will be eligible to be licensed as school counselors (K-12) in Virginia. They also will have the necessary courses and field experiences to apply to become National Certified Counselors (NCC).
Requires a 100-hour practicum in an approved school setting and a 600-hour internship in schools.
This specialization has been designed to meet the standards of the Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
A variety of factors in addition to the standard application materials are considered when reviewing applicants. Details are listed at the program's web site.
Careers In This Field
- School Counselor
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Mental Health Programs
- Case Management
- Adoption/Childcare Agencies
- Rehabilitation Services
Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Rates
|Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Effective Summer 2013. Rates are subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
A list of required courses is on the program's webpage.
Although most of the classes are available in a 2-way format, students are required to take three classes (nine hours) in residence at the New College Institute in Martinsville, Virginia. They are COUN 633, 634, and 644.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Fort Belvoir
- Fort Myer
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Roanoke Higher Education Center
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center