Teacher Prep: Special Ed. VA Lic. - General Curr. K-12, HQ in Elementary Ed (Interdisc. Studies) (BS)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science|
|College of Arts and Letters: Department of Interdisciplinary Studies|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 40-41 credit hours for major content + 42 for professional education/practica|
|Course Delivery Modes: Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program., SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.|
This Teacher Prep program awards a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in Teacher Prep Special Education.
In order to meet the Commonwealth of Virginia's need for well-trained and well-qualified special education teachers, you will be eligible for Virginia Licensure when you receive your Bachelor’s degree in the IDS-TP Special Education emphasis from the College of Arts and Letters. You will also be Highly Qualified in elementary education.
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
Early field experiences, including observation, practica, and/or student teaching, are required during normal school hours. Map out your education with this program's Long Range Schedule (PDF).
For additional course information, please see the department's website.
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student. A minimum GPA of 2.8 is required for admission, continuance, and graduation. Additionally, a grade of "C" or better must be earned in all courses required for the program. You are required to meet the PRAXIS I requirement before completing your 60th credit hour (transfer students with more than 60 credit hours must meet the requirement before finishing your second semester in our program).
Please note that General Education courses that are departmental requirements are not met by the Associate's degree. Explore the VCCS Transfer Guide or Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For more detailed admission information, please see the department's website.
Courses in this program are offered in this technology:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
- Teaching: Primary, Elementary, Secondary
- With addtional training, experience, and/or education: School Administration: Principalship, Superintendency, Media/Library/Information Services, Curriculum Supervision, Subject Area Supervision
Note for students in Washington State from the SAC:
"Eligibility for initial education certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Virginia and is authorized for field placements in Washington by the Professional Educators Standards Board. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement."
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College