Special Education (minor)
Program at a Glance
|Darden College of Education: Department of Communication Disorders and Special Education|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 15 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived., SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.|
This minor is designed to complement majors in education, psychology, and speech pathology. It can be helpful if you are intended to become an elementary or primary school special education teacher or if you want to specialize in moderate to severe disabilities.
For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Teacher Education Services and Advising at 757-683-6448 or http://education.odu.edu/tes/.
Declaring This Minor
To declare special education as your intended minor, you must complete the declaration process with the Graduate Program Director. Application for graduation requires completion of the Undergraduate Departmental Certification/Minor form with the Graduate Program Director.
This minor can only be completed as part of an undergraduate degree from ODU. You will need to be accepted into ODU as an undergraduate degree-seeking student.
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Courses are offered in these technologies:
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Required courses: SPED 313, 400, 402, 411 and 415*. TLED 304 is recommended. See the department's web page for specific details.
* SPED 415 requires 45 hour practicum and passing scores on Praxis I or equivalent as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College