Special Education - VA Licensure (MSEd)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Master of Science in Education|
|Darden College of Education: Department of Communication Disorders and Special Education|
|Cost: $412 per credit hour *|
|Required: 30-45 credit hours|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.|
This program prepares teachers and agency personnel to design and implement curricula for individuals with disabilities in a variety of settings.
You may choose endorsement in special education: general curriculum K-12 (mild disabilities); early childhood special education and/or special education: adapted curriculum K-12 (severe disabilities).
Course descriptions and requirements for each concentration can be found on the department's web site.
Admission to the graduate program in special education is granted by the department's graduate program director in conjunction with special education faculty. Details are on the department's web site.
For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Teacher Education Services and Advising at 757-683-6448 or http://education.odu.edu/tes/.
|Graduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$412|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$412|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$1048|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Special Education Teaching Careers
- Teaching: Pre-school, Primary, Elementary
- Administration: Principalship, Superintendency
- Special Services: Guidance Counseling, School Psychology, School Social Work, Occupational and Physical Therapy, Audiology and Speech Pathology, Library/Information Services, Special Education, Curriculum Supervision, Subject Area Supervision
Note for students in Washington State from the SAC:
"Eligibility for initial education certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Virginia and is authorized for field placements in Washington by the Professional Educators Standards Board. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement."
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- PVCC-ODU @ Eugene Giuseppe Center
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College