Teacher Prep: Primary/Elementary (Interdisciplinary Studies) (BS)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science|
|College of Arts and Letters: Department of Interdisciplinary Studies|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 49-50 credit hours for major content + 33 for professional education|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Practicum / InternshipA practicum or internship is a required part of this program.|
This course of study is the undergraduate portion of a four+one-year BS/MS program which leads to a Master’s degree and Virginia licensure at the post-baccalaureate level.
The program is designed to let you seamlessly transition from the College of Arts and Letters into a graduate or post-baccalureate licensure program in the Darden College of Education immediately upon completion of a BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheet below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
Early field experiences, including observation, practica, and/or student teaching, are required during normal school hours. Map out your education with this program's Long Range Schedule (PDF).
Additional information is available on the department's website.
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student. A minimum GPA of 2.8 is required for admission, continuance, and graduation. Additionally, a minimum grade of "C" must be earned in all courses required for the program. You are required to meet the PRAXIS I requirement before completing your 60th credit hour (transfer students with more than 60 credit hours must meet the requirement before finishing your second semester in our program).
Please note that General Education courses that are departmental requirements are not met by the Associate's degree. Explore the VCCS Transfer Guide or Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638
For complete program requirements, please see the Interdisciplinary Studies Teacher Preparation program website.
Courses in this program are offered in this technology:
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Practicum / Internship: A practicum or internship is a required part of this program.
- Teaching: Pre-K, Primary, Elementary
- With additional experience, training, and/or education: School Administration: Principalship, Superintendency, Curriculum Supervision, Subject Area Supervision, Reading Specialist, Media/Library/Information Services
Note for students in Washington State from the SAC concerning this Bachelor's degree:
"This program is not intended to lead to teacher certification. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement."
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Office of Finance web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar web site.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Navy Surface Combat Systems Center at Wallops Island
- New River Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College