I’m a senior at the ODU’s Blue Ridge Community College campus in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. My major is Professional Writing and my minor is Training and Development.
What my life is really about is my family; I’m a mother and wife. And trying to balance that with a full-time class load requires organization and a horse pill sized dose of humility. I’m also a Navy veteran. The Navy let me travel the world and meet great people, but it also means I get to navigate the ever-changing seas of Veterans Affairs.
I try to squeeze as much living as possible into the spare time that I pretend to have. So here are a few more things about me, in a list, because lists are cool and quick to read.
- I’m a self-professed geek.
- My day is not complete without music. Much to the chagrin of the adult-aged members of my family, this often means me bursting into song at odd moments.
- I use multimillion-dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods. Geocaching, Google it.
- I’m keen on learning for the sake of learning, and think search engines are about the neatest thing ever invented.
I’m a sci-fi fan. Shocking, right? Some of my favorites are Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Monty Python. Ok, the last one isn’t sci-fi, but they are great.
I invite you to explore the world of distance learning with me this year. Trying to balance life and school ain’t for the faint of heart, but it is educational.
Blog Entries by Rebecca Stidam
- Changes, But Not So Many
- The Final Countdown
- Still Searching
- And in the End
- Almost There
- Career Fair Fun!
- Mid Semester Doldrums
- Adventures in Graduating: The Job Hunt
- When Making Your Schedule: Advice to Veterans
- Cap and Gown Update
- Adventures In Graduating: Cap and Gown
- An Interdisciplinary Degree
- Notice Anything Different?
- The Beginning of the End
- Tempus Fugit
- My Final Registration
- Spring Has Sprung
- Finding Work
- Minor Setbacks
- Talking to No One
- New Club on Campus
- Coming Up for Air
- Unexpected Resources
- What Did I Get Myself Into?
- Just Five More Minutes, Please
- All Done But the Waiting
- Crunch Time
- Being a Veteran and a College Student at ODU
- Registration With One Tiny Hiccup
- The Server Ate My Homework: When You Have Technical Issues
- Staying Focused
- It’s Advising Week!
- I Didn’t Mean to Miss Class: Video Archives at ODU
- Using Blackboard at ODU
- What’s Your Schedule Like?
- Finding an Event
- The Distance Learning Classroom at ODU
- Why I Chose ODU?
- Yes! We Have No Bananas