Medical Technology (BSMT)
Program at a Glance
|Degree: Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology|
|College of Health Sciences: School of Medical Laboratory and Radiation Sciences|
|Cost: $285 per credit hour *|
|Required: 40 credit hours from ODU (120 total)|
|Course Delivery Modes: SatelliteAttend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other., Video streamView & participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived., 2-way extended campusAttend class at a site for a live, broadcast course. Instructor & students can all see and talk to each other.|
Combine your interests in medicine and science for a challenging and rewarding career.
Medical technologists perform a variety of tasks, including everything from simple pre-marital blood tests to more complex tests that uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer (source: American Society of Clinical Pathology).
Articulation into the BSMT Program is available to individuals who have graduated from a formal laboratory training program.
ODU's Medical Technology program is fully accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Talk with an advisor to determine how your credits will transfer. The curriculum sheets below can serve as a guide for planning your course of study.
All ODU undergraduate distance learning programs are degree completion / transfer programs.
Explore Monarch TRANSFERmation to see how courses you've completed may transfer to ODU. To have an advisor review your transcripts, contact your nearest ODU extended classroom site or call 1.800.968.2638.
For this program, you will need to be accepted into ODU as a degree-seeking student. Separate admission to the BSMT program is required. Admittance to the program is competitive and is based upon evaluation several criteria. Please visit the College of Health Sciences web site or contact us for details.
Courses in this program may be offered in these technologies:
2-way extended campus: Attend class at a site for a live, broadcast course. Instructor and students can all see and talk to each other.
Video stream: View and participate in streamed classes online over a high-speed Internet connection from any location. May be live or archived.
Satellite: Attend class at a site for a live streamed course where the students and instructor can talk to each other.
Medical Technology Careers
- Laboratory Scientist
- Laboratory Discipline Specialist
|Undergraduate Distance Learning Tuition Classification||Cost per credit hour|
|Virginia residents (with Virginia domicile)||$285|
|Students living outside of Virginia||$285|
|* In Virginia but without Virginia domicile||$807|
Rates are effective Summer 2013 and subject to change. Please visit the Admission & Financial Aid web site for complete tuition details.
* For questions about domicile or “in-state” status as it applies to tuition rates, please visit the University Registrar.
Save time, save money, and earn guaranteed acceptance into ODU. Earn your associate's degree at a community college and complete a bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion. It’s that simple.
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Central Virginia Community College
- Eastern Shore Community College
- Germanna Community College - Fredericksburg Campus
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- John Tyler Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Middletown Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- ODU Dahlgren
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Peninsula Higher Education Center
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Southside Virginia Community College - Christanna Campus
- Southside Virginia Community College - J.H. Daniel Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- Tri-Cities Higher Education Center
- Virginia Beach Higher Education Center
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College